They Were Human, Too

 When I was around twelve years old, I remember meandering over to a desktop computer which was sitting on a tall round table in a Mac store. I clicked the mouse and the monitor displayed a web browser. Upon realizing this computer was connected to the internet, in one mind boggling instant I felt as though I’d found gold! We didn’t have the internet at our house at that time, but I’d heard all about it, of course . . . enough to make me feel as though beneath my very own fingertips lay the ticket to any place in the world, anyway. I could look up anything about any subject -- go anywhere my imagination wanted to take me, learn as little or much about any given topic as my soul desired. What a luxury! My mind exploded with possibilities. And then, in one incredibly grand brain dump, my mind went blank. There was so much I could do, I didn’t know where to start. I stared at the home page for minutes, cursor blinking, wondering what to do with this new found opportunity. Should I set up an email account? . . . What would I do with an email account? I didn’t have internet at home and I saw my friends at least twice a week anyway. Maybe visit a blog? . . . Whose blog? Did I know anyone who had a blog?! What exactly was a blog, anyway? I spent a good part of that day wondering what people who had the internet learned and did, and where they went when it was all so extremely possible. 

Every now and then I feel that way again when I sit down with the Bible. The book is heavy with accounts of God’s hand at work in human affairs, its pages nestling every answer to any possible problem or question, simply waiting for me to make the discovery. Even holding the book in my hands, words seem to leak through its pages and penetrate my soul before I so much as open the cover . . . "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!”

The magnitude of what is represented in the Bible’s pages feels so much bigger than me and my life. And it is in a way. But it also isn’t. It is, in that everything created, no matter how big, points to the glory of God: the richness of His wisdom, the profundity of His knowledge, the boundlessness of His creativity . . . the list goes on. And it isn’t bigger than me, in that there is no person, no life, and no situation so small that cannot be used of God for the magnifying of all that He is.

Do you feel very alone sometimes in your decision to live for the Lord? I’ve met girls that are the only ones they know who are deciding not to go from guy to guy dating for fun until they meet “Mr. Right”, like all their friends at school are doing. As a result, their friends think they’re ridiculous. Well, imagine how easy it would have been for Noah to feel ridiculous as he warned all his neighbors and friends that water was going to fall from the sky and drown the world. No one had ever even SEEN “rain” before. Oh how they must have laughed! I can promise you one thing, though . . . they weren’t laughing when the ark’s door shut and the skies ripped open with torrentuous gushes of water. Oh no, they believed funny little Noah then, Noah, who had defined his sense of success, not by their approval, but by God’s.

Try imagining, too, what must have gone through Rahab’s mind before asking for deliverance, as she contemplated the fact that she was a harlot in a city that was about to be destroyed in battle for the lifestyle in which she clearly took part . . . do you think she could have reasoned that it was hopeless, and God would never listen to her? If she had reasoned that way, we probably wouldn’t even know her name today. And yet because she asked in faith, believing and fearing God, her whole family was spared, and she was honored by being in the very lineage of Jesus Christ.

Think finally of Esther: imagine a beautiful, richly-attired young woman, walking the hallways of a palace, and soaking up the luxuries of royalty. Jewels hang from her hair and grace her neck, and her garments flow softly behind her as she walks slowly, smoothly, steadily. Oh, but what’s this? She doesn’t look very comfortable. Her hands are trembling, and what a sight it is to see such raw courage in the eyes of one whose face appears to be pale with fear. She is about to make an appeal to the king, and tell him that she is a Jew, and therefore a part of the decree that says she and her people will be destroyed. She does not know yet that her faith in the face of such vulnerability will save not only her own life, but will spare her people from being slaughtered ruthlessly.

These heroes of faith were harlots, murderers, and “nobody’s” living with little to no money. Their hands trembled when they spoke to kings. Mosquitos bit them. Flies buzzed around their ears and irritated them, too; they sweat in the sun, and probably didn’t feel like rising early some mornings, either. I'm sure they regretted words they let out, and things on which they let their eyes linger, and yet God used them, because it is not about us, it is about God, and GOD is not limited to using perfect people who never get scared in front of crowds, and always have the perfect thing to say. He is GOD, and so long as we are tapping into His source of wisdom, understanding, and direction, all things are extremely possible.

Labels: , , ,