Talking to a "Perfect Person"

Due to working close to 50 hours this past week at our county fair, I had some great witnessing opportunities! I'm not sure how many tracts I handed out, but one of my favorites was this million dollar bill made by Living Waters. During a lunch break, Lucas and I would "accidentally" drop a million dollars on our way to a booth and then sit down, eat, and watch. We were actually surprised by how many people walked by, walked over, and even kicked around this million dollar bill before some shocked passerby made the discovery! Just think if that really WAS a million dollars. Hundreds of people. . . oblivious to the treasure right under their nose. How often do we pass by treasures, maybe not even realize they're there - simply due to our lack of attention? 




Lucas and I enjoyed watching the variety of responses people had to the tract. One man walking with his wife and granddaughter picked it up, stopped and showed it to his wife who then proceeded to hold it up to the sun - looking for threads or any other sign that it was real. :) Sorry to say, they looked in vain. However, the message on the back of that tract was worth far more than a million dollars, and I prayed for them that God would send forth His Word with power into their hearts as they read what it had to say.


After talking with one lady, I handed her the tract and said, "Here, would you like a million dollars?"
She looked pleased to take it and began to read the back. "Yes!" she exclaimed with her finger pointed to the sky. I assumed she was answering the question, "If you were to die today, would you go to Heaven?" so I said, "How do you know?"




"Because I'm a good person! I've never done bad things."
"You've never sinned?"
"Nope." (As I was thinking on this conversation later, I realized there are so many ways her answer could've been approached, such as talking through Ephesians 2:8-9 or I John 1:8-10; this is simply what came to mind that minute!)
"Really! So you're a good person by your standards?"
"Yes!"
"How about by God's standards?"
"Mmhmm."
"OK, well then let's go through some of them. You're familiar with the 10 commandments, right?"
She nodded.
"One of the commandments says, 'Thou shalt not steal'. Have you ever stolen anything?"
She didn't even think about it at first, just said a resolute, "No." and shook her head.
"You've never stolen anything your entire life, even as a child?
She thought a little harder this time, but still concluded with a, "No."
"OK, well another commandment says, 'Thou shalt not bear false witness'. Have you ever lied - even a white lie?"
She was still convinced she was perfect, and confidently denied having ever lied. I came back to this a minute later and said something like, "Actually, you just did." I smiled, and she was at a loss for words as she thought about that.
"Let me explain." I continued, "You believe the Bible is true, correct?"
"Oh, yes!"
"Well the Bible says that there is 'none righteous, no not one'! We have all fallen short of the glory of God - every one of us is guilty of having broken God's law." 


Just then, I was called back to work and couldn't finish our conversation, so I said, "Here, I have another tract for you that will explain things more. You'll have to tell me what you think later!" and she began to read the new tract as we said goodbye.



<< Just a quick note on this tract. I know some people are cautious about the Gospel coming across in too frivolous of a manner, and I like to be careful about that, too. However, when I think of "walking circumspectly" and understanding our times, it's been my experience that preteens are much more likely to read this form of a tract than they are to read something long, wordy and/or less colorful. This specific tract does have the Gospel clearly laid out, and I appreciate that.


The million dollar tract is a great way to start a conversation with someone about the Gospel! If you're interested in getting some, you can order them here. This weekend, however, Living Waters is offering a very similar tract ($1000 instead of $1,000,000) for 37% off - that means you get 100 of them for $5.00! If you're interested in the 1,000 dollar bills, you can order them here.


Labels: