Teach America to Pray!


Lord, we would bow in need of Thee
Throughout this land from sea to sea,
From where Atlantic's breakers roar
To blue Pacific's golden shore.
Oh, may we all in longing say,
Lord, teach America to pray!

May we our sins to Thee confess,
Pleading in faith Thy righteousness,
May we again come to Thy throne,
Returning that which is Thine own.
Our broken hearts before Thee lay.
Lord, teach America to pray!

May our good land be true and just,
Her motto e'er "In God We Trust,"
May she be guided by Thy Word,
Thy wisdom in her walls be heard.
May all who love her plead today,
Lord, teach America to pray!

And as her flag unfurls on high
Its starry splendor to the sky,
May we, in grateful thanks to Thee
Who gave to us this land so free,
Preserve her freedom in Thy way.
Lord, teach America to pray!

To pray that cruel wars may cease,
That to the world may come Thy peace,
That ever, always, at Thy feet
We may attain communion sweet.
In loving trust to thee we say,
Lord, teach America to pray!
Edith A. Wilsey


If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin,
and will heal their land.

11 Chronicles 7:14


I read this verse on a picture hanging in ITC during my stay in Indianapolis. It really stood out to me as an instruction; a reminder from God that we are ultimately responsible to Him for the decisions we make and the power to destroy our land or the power to heal it comes from His hand and His alone. Our responsibility as Christians is impressing stronger and stronger on me as I see the layering of godless decisions currently being made. We are the light of this world, the salt, the Christ-ones! Who can know what Christ is like but by the way we live? We are truly the ambassadors of His Kingdom,
born for such a time as this.


The potential we have as God's children to impact our country is immense. It can be discouraging when we look around us and see the decline of morals, for example, but that is when we look around, not when we look to God! Is He not in control of absolutely everything? Has He not said He is willing to show Himself strong on the behalf of those whose hearts are perfect toward Him? The best thing we can do for the United States of America is spend more time on our knees, more time seeking His face, more time calling down the power of God to work in and through our lives, that God be glorified and that His name be not blasphemed here.


Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
This is my heart-cry day unto day;
I long to know Thy will and Thy way;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.

Power in prayer, Lord, power in prayer!
Here 'mid earth's sin and sorrow and care,
Men lost and dying, souls in despair;
O give me power, power in prayer!

Labels: