A Cello Recital

Last week I had the privilege of attending a friend's and an acquaintance's cello recital. I have to admit, I really hadn't heard much cello music before or payed much attention to it, but after that evening I was pulling out abandoned CD's , googling cello music and reliving the soulful sound the instrument has :). I did bring along my camera (tho' I was unable to use my flash), so I'll share a few pictures from the evening as well as some fun quotes for those of you who are music lovers!


If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
~Gustav Mahler
Music is what feelings sound like.
~Author Unknown

Musical compositions, it should be remembered, do not inhabit certain countries, certain museums, like paintings and statues. The Mozart Quintet is not shut up in Salzburg: I have it in my pocket.
~Henri Rabaud

You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow.
~Oscar Levant, explaining his w
ay out of a speeding ticket

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
~Victor Hugo
Below: Benjamin Koenig
Its language is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate.
~Arnold Bennett

Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends.
~Alphonse de Lamartine

A jazz musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges.
~Benny Green

Below: Riley Stiller
Music that gentlier on the spirit lies,
Than tired eyelids upon tired eyes.
~Alfred Lord Tennyson

Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings.
~Robert Benchley


Below: Riley Stiller
Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
Psalm 33: 1 & 3

Labels: ,